Pages

January 24, 2012

When It's All Been Said And Done,

“Jesus does not change what you do; He changes what you want to do. That is part of the new birth. There are new levels of performance—not because of pride, but because of love.”

Ravi Zacharias

Quoted in Biblestudymagazine

If I did not seek Jesus, would my life look the same?  No, almost certainly I would be flying around the globe seeking the best high that money could buy.  I would be focused on seeing the world through my eyes and experiencing all the thrills that life could offer.  Money, Travel, and Love. 

Yet, I ask myself, would that satisfy me?  Would that fill me up?  Or is there something deeper than these pleasures that can only fill me up?  To that last question, it must be true.  The world and all its vanity, I cannot see myself enjoying it all.  I look around me and see pain, millions of people in pain, hurting people.  My Spirit breaks with a longing for a correction to this injustice.  Almost impulsively, I cry out longing for an answer?  Why? What is the cause? Where is the solution? Why does not anyone seem to care?

My thoughts haunt me at times.  So many living so luxuriously, enjoying life.  So many hurting, barely surviving, and many not. 

Jesus has not changed what I do now--not YET, but he changing what I want to do.  Do I want to live comfortably and reap the reward of an honest day's work?  Yes, but that work must have meaning, deep meaning.  Corporate America, the American dream, Lavish parties, Decadent foods; they confuse me, intoxicate my mind like arsnic.  I would rather die a lonely man in a third world country trying to improve the lives of the unfortunate, than to sit on a beach collecting sea shells while enjoying my 'retirement'---as if God ever intended us to live for only US for the last 30 years of our life.  There is something backward in this thinking. 

If we are all going to die and meet God, should we not do something that will have an impact in the world to come? 


The contradiction that is in you is the contradiction that is in me.  When your inner passion is united with the Spirit of the living God, a life of purpose and an eternal reward begins to take hold. 

This day, every day, we must not give up, not throw in the towel, and most importantly never lose sight of where we want to be.  The shortest route is not always the best route, as it can bypass some of the most precious memories in life.  Get ready though and go at it.  Go after the prize so that at the end of our race on earth we may say as Paul said,

For I am already being poured out like a drink offering, and the time has come for my departure. I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day—and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing.


2 Timothy 4:6-8


No comments: